Sunday, August 24, 2008

The S.P.O.T. Personal Emergency Locator

Test Track

S.P.O.T. Personal Locator

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I will be taking the S.P.O.T. Personal Emergency Locator with me to South America in January. I now have the unit, and have had a little time to try it out to see how it performs. I received the unit when I was in Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the EAA Airshow. On my return trip, I set the unit to the "Track" mode when I left Oshkosh, and headed to the Mississippi River. I left the unit running most of the time until I reached Cleveland, Ohio. As you can see from the composit picture above, the unit worked as advertised, saving my location every ten minutes, and if you look at the location of Oshkosh, you will note that the unit also sent an "I'm OK" message home, as well. (green OK logo)
The software to manage the messages is all Web Based, and it is not the most user friendly software around. There may be a learning curve here, if any of you want to use it to keep track of my progress on next years motorcycle trip to the southern end of South America. If you are interested in using it to follow me down, send me an email to rguzman@rochester.rr.com , in advance, and we will practice with the software together.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
United States
Born in Santiago, Chile and living in western New York, USA