Sunday, June 28, 2009

Piper Aircraft Museum

My guide, Pauline
Bill Piper's silver Cub and far left, his Buick convertible

My visit to the Piper Museum was exceptional. Since the small town of Lock Haven , Pennsylvania was having a parade down on Main Street for some reason, I had the entire museum to myself and the person in charge had the time to give me a personally guided tour. My tour guide was Pauline, a very pleasant woman who it turns out was a personal friend of the Piper family, and so, had a great deal of personal information to share. The museum is small, but has a great display of the history of the Piper Aircraft Company as well as a small hangar with some of the most beautifully restored Piper aircraft I have ever seen. There is also one of Bill Piper's own personal J2 Piper Cub and his Buick Convertible among others. I had to ask Pauline, why the Piper Cub owned by Bill Piper was silver and not "Cub yellow"? She explained that, that particular model was built before Bill's father, William Piper, chose the now famous color yellow for the Piper Cub. Seems the first Piper Cubs were silver. For more pictures, go to the "Photo Gallery".

No comments:

About Me

My photo
United States
Born in Santiago, Chile and living in western New York, USA